Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Balance. My Run.

I've begun Week 3 on my new commitment.  I'm attempting to complete the couch25k program.  I'm actually impressing myself because just 3 weeks ago I could barely run for 30 seconds.  But as I start my third week, I'm actually running 3 minute intervals.  What?! 

The voice in my head says, Seriously, what are we doing here?  Kind of like what Randy says on A.I. as he's judging the squealing contestant.  But my body feels ready for this and I follow my gut and lace up my Asics and get moving.

I'm still taking it slow.  I don't want to go to fast and get so winded I need to stop.  That's typically how I work out.  I'm an all or nothing kind of girl and if I'm in it, I'm in it to win it.  But I know my boundaries when it comes to running.  I've learned my lessons over time and realize, I really enjoy this and want to do it right.

I met with my Dr. today and of course the question came up: Do you have time to exercise?  And for the first time I could confidently say: YES!  I was really excited to tell her what I'm doing and she was even more thrilled to hear the news.  She was so encouraging that I felt like a kid on Christmas morning.  Weird, I know.  But that's what running is doing for me, it makes me that excited, I just want to go out and enjoy the day, hear the birds, listen to the wind through the trees. 

I have to wait for all that organic noise though.  Who am I kidding, it's winter here and we have about 24 inches of snow outside at the moment, not to mention our neighborhood streets are a mess and there is just no way I'm about to twist my ankle for the sake of mother nature.  She'd be the one laughing at me anyways.

So I stick to my treadmill.  It's okay for now, and doing the job at keeping my pace the same.  I can tell I'll need to adjust the incline or increase my pace soon.  Soon.  I feel myself getting anxious on getting there.  I know this is a journey and I need to process each stride in that way. 

I throw in a DVD of S&TC and since those shows are a half hour, it works out perfectly for my 30 minute run.  Of course I have to constantly be checking the time on the treadmill because I'm still early in the program where the run/walk intervals are close together.  So every 2 or 3 minutes I need to switch the speed.  Somehow it helps make my time on the treadmill seem productive and not boring.  Not to mention I get to watch Carrie and her girlie's in NYC.

I'm already looking into signing up for my first 5k.  I've filled out the registration form, now I just need to write the check and send it in.  Eight more weeks and hopefully my confidence will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish