Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Monday, August 2, 2010

Cukes!!


My garden is growing!  I took this picture 2 weeks ago and it's even bigger today!  I'm very disappointed in the arugula, they never had a good chance.  And the peas never sprouted... I'm so bummed about that. 

But... my cucumbers are out of control!  I only have two cucumber plants in the back left side of the garden.  They are taking hold of the tomato plants and now stretches across the whole back side of the garden and into the yard.

The tomato plants are doing well too, but the cucumbers are definitely making their presence well known.  I've already picked 2.  I think they're late compared to my neighbors garden, who has been picking from her garden for a few weeks now.  But I'm okay with that.  This is my first garden after all.  I think next year I'll convert this to a raised garden since most of my soil is clay.  The bags of soil I brought in doesn't seem to help the overall growth.  I've had to use a lot of fertilizer for a few weeks straight just to get a jump start. 

So now I have these cucumbers growing so fast I'm sure I'll have too many very soon!  Of course my 20 month old son loves to help me water the garden.  I thought he'd be just as interested in trying the cucumber after picking one but he still turns his nose at them when I offer him a slice.  Maybe I can offer him a cucumber milk shake that might entice him to love these little green spikey treats. (Did you know cucumbers have little spikes on them?  They must dull after time so when you see them in the market they're not so dramatic when you pick them up.) 

How do you enjoy your cukes?  Sliced, diced, chopped, or pureed in a smoothie?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish