Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sleeping-less

I don't consider myself a light sleeper, however, if I get woken up I have a hard time falling back to sleep. 

My son has been waking up lately, and usually my husband toggles upstairs to unwind the blanket from the kids body and reposition it down.  Within minutes the two of them are back into the respective beds and I'm left there wide awake.

Did you know we are geese in our home?  Or at least just one goose?  That's what I listened to while laying awake at least 3 hours last night.  I was awake from 1:30-4am.  At least the last time I looked at the clock it was 4am. 

I refuse to get out of bed and I try to keep my breathing still.  Slow deep breaths help my mind, and heart, relax.  Sometimes it helps me drift back to sleep.  But other times, that silly goose wakes me again!  Do I dare tell my husband he snores like a goose?  I think about waking him, and instead I try to move the covers away from him.  Just enough to stir him into the other direction.

Nothing seems to be working.  So I quickly float up to our spare room and hunker down into the cool sheets of the empty bed.  Immediately I feel better, but I know it will be a while before I actually fall asleep.

I do fall asleep but I don't remember how long it took me.  I realize my husband will be wondering why my alarm is going off, and I'm not there.  Shortly after I have this thought, I hear footsteps down stairs.  He's looking for me.  I know my alarm has gone off and it'll be a matter of minutes until he realizes I've relocated myself. 

Of course he thinks I'm mad at him for something he must have done.  I'm too tired to give explanations so I just say that I needed to sleep.  He's now really confused and leaves me to take a shower.

Our son hears his Daddy in the bathroom while showering and he sits in his crib in the room next to me.  Daddy... Daddy... Daddy... He's saying it softly in a sleepy voice.  He becomes quieter and eventually he stops.  Figuring he fell back to sleep, I make my way back downstairs to shower and prepare for our day.  I need to somehow find the energy to move forward, when all I want to do is sleep another five minutes.

Maybe I can catch up on some sleep later tonight.  Maybe I can go to bed early?  Unless the kid wakes us up again because he's gotten himself twisted in his blanket... Only one could hope he'll figure it out on his own.

Until then, I collect our lunch, dress my boy in his snow boots, coat, hat, and mittens, and shuffle out the front door.  The cool, 10 degree, December air immediately wakes me up.  Suddenly I have an extra bounce in my step.  I hold my sons mittened hand and we walk down the steps together.  He points to the birds and talks about the sky.  His energy somehow will make me get through my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish