Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Separation Anxiety or Teething?

We haven't experienced separation anxiety, except the past few weeks it certainly feels like it.  My 19 month old son started a new daycare this week and things seem to be going well.  J talks about school and the toys that are there.  He will even tell his stuffed animals about school, so I feel good that he's in a positive environment. 

However, over the past few weeks he has been showing signs of anxiety towards me when I'm dropping him off to daycare.  He's also developed a clear runny nose so I'm now thinking this is link with more teething.  Could he be getting the next round of teeth this early? 

Today was hard.  Today he sobbed so hard he had a hard time gasping for air.  I try to make light of the situation but how can I not act concerned when he's being so upset?  I encourage him and talk to him about how much fun he'll have playing there.  I tell him I have to go but will see him soon.  He knows this routine of me leaving for work.  He's been in full time daycare since he was 8 months old.

So now, almost 20 months old, he's showing signs of separation anxiety, but is it mixed with a cold or teething? 

When we come home I do spend some quality time with my silly putty.  But sometimes it doesn't seem like it's enough and he needs constant attention until bedtime.  I ask for smooches and squeezes but he refuses to do that too.  I'm sure this is all a phase, but in the meantime, I cannot help but wonder what is really going on?

The new school has different snacks, since they provide the snacks for the kids.  I send in his lunch.  He's a picky eater so I'm sure he's not used to some of the foods they provide, but I think it's a good experience for him.  They also have him sleeping on mats for nap time.  Another change for him, but he does sleep on them.  I just don't know how hard it is for him to sleep, or if he's even getting a good nap.  Only time will tell and I'm sure it will take plenty of time for him to become adjusted to the new routines, kids, and caregivers.

It pains me to sit at work knowing he's not feeling well, missing me, missing the old routine.  I tell myself he is in good hands, he has a busy schedule, and at some point he'll forget about this transition.  Until then, I sit and wonder how to work through this separation anxiety and teething issues.

How have you handled your little ones separation anxiety moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish