Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Book Nook: The Baker's Apprentice by Judith Hendricks


I started reading this book in December and finished it last week.  I will consider this my first read of the new year, completed.

The Baker's Apprentice is a sequel to Bread Alone.  Bread Alone is a 'riches to rags' story that walks you through the life of Wyn as she struggles through a divorce, moves to Seattle, and goes back to basics: making bread.  The book left me feeling full of warmth, comfort, and the need to make bread.  When I found out there was a sequel I was hesitant as some reviewers didn't like it as much as the first.  But I wanted to make my own opinion, so off to the city library to pick it up.  Both books are easy reads as I was done reading within a few weeks, while still running around after my son. 

I was a little torn with the ending of The Baker's Apprentice.  It seems like there is more room for a third book but have not seen one published, yet.  While Wyn had met Mac in Bread Alone, they maintain their relationship in The Baker's Apprentice, but I wasn't sure how I felt about the focus changing back and forth from Wyn to Mac.  The author does focus on the relationship Wyn has with her Apprentice but felt the title of the book was misleading as I was left forgetting about the Apprentice and wondering what will happen with Wyn & Mac?  I was still left with the same feeling as the first book but I'm hoping for a third as there are a lot of new questions that are unanswered. 

I'd recommend both books Bread Alone and The Baker's Apprentice to anyone who is looking for a calm, easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish