Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Scrub a dub!



My fascination with homemade soaps have lingered in my mind for a long time.  I would always gather in the shops and smelled all the different bars of soap.  Lavender, cucumber, sandlewood, citrus, french vanilla... oh the list goes on and on.

So I recently started some research on what it takes to actually make this creamy, smells oh-so-good, bar of soap.  Little did I know... a lot more goes into it than I had imagined.  I've been reading about it for a few days now and I thought I was going to get overwhelmed, bored, or lose my oompfh and lose interest in the idea.  But so far, everything I've read has made me drawn to the possibilities of this craft. 

Making bars of soap, a craft?  Yup, I actually thought it wasn't, but the more I read about this craft, it appears that there is a serious business of making a GOOD bar of soap!  So I thought, I want one!  (Kind of sounding like the girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) but not sounding spoiled and whiny.  So I've taken many notes and a shopping list of what I'll need to purchase.  Come to find out, I may need to buy more than I had anticipated, BUT if I'm going to be serious about this, it's an investment, right? 

My main goal is to create a soap that is safe for J, and not so 'girly' smelling so my husband will use a bar or two.  I've been drawn to the shea butter soaps and I've read adding castor oil will make it really sudsy.  (Why would I make a soap that doesn't create fun bubbles??)  I also can't wait to start experimenting with the essential oils (EO).  Lavendar, Tea Tree, Chamomile Roman, Laurel Leaf, and Orange (just to name a few). 

There is a whole other world out there that I somehow feel vulnerable and need to watch where I step.  I wonder why that is?

1 comment:

  1. I really LOVE handmade soap. I've never made it myself, but I think it's just fabulous. My personal favourite so far is licorice, so yummy. Sometimes I almost forget it's soap and want to take a bite.

    As for the vulnerability, I think when we're really excited about something it can be a little scary. But I also think that you can overcome that and do it! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish