It was Memorial Day yesterday. I woke up, opened the shades, opened the sliding glass door to the porch. Something smelled like burning brush. Was somebody having a fire at 7:30 in the morning?
There were fireworks in the neighborhood the night before. Maybe one is stuck in a tree and it caught on fire?
Or god forbid, a house?
Nope. It was nothing like that.
It was Quebec. On fire.
Oh, Canada.... I live about 8 hours south, yet the smoke and burning smell have reach our neighborhood. Actually, it has reached our whole region. This mornings news mentioned Vermont was receiving the roaring blaze but thankfully the winds shifted.
Some NH firefighters were sent north to aid relief in the fires. (And who am I to complain about my cubie-desk job??) These men and women are our neighbors and our heros.
Luckily my family doesn't have asthma, but I can imagine what this air quality would do to someone.
I wish for everyone who is affected by this fire to be safe. Seeing the smoke in my neighborhood and being able to smell the burning brush made me realize not to take anything for granted.