Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Using the potty

My 19 month old son has been interested in the potty for about a month now.  We introduced the potty to him and he sits on the potty before bath time.  Two nights ago he actually went pee pee on the potty!  My husband was there with him while I was getting the tub ready for bath time.  Unfortunately for my husband, there was some pee pee on him.  He wasn't too thrilled and didn't show much excitement towards our son.  But I immediately jumped in to shout, cheer, and give high fives as my little boy sat proud on his potty. 

We have a seat that fits on top of our toilet seat.  It seems to work well to set him there to go potty.  I haven't invested in a small toddler potty, and not sure if I will. 

Now that J has gone  pee pee on the potty I'm now thinking about a reward system for him.  I hear sticker charts or M&Ms work well.  I may start with the stickers first to see how he responds to them.  We also have a three day weekend coming up and I'm really thinking about taking this opportunity to work with J and the potty.  Only if he seems ready for it. 

I understand it could take boys a while to potty train, but I'm hoping that since he's showing interest now, we'll be able to use this window of opportunity to learn how to use the potty.

What about you?  Do you have any tips on what worked for you when potty training your kid(s)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish