Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Monday, February 22, 2010

on a more serious note

J had his 15 month check up (routine shots included) on Friday.  I kept him out of daycare in the morning so I could take him to the appt, then planned on taking him to daycare and heading off to work myself.

The day didn't go as planned.  The first problem was, I thought the appt was at 11:00.  I didn't realize the real time (11:30) till later that evening.  J & I waited in the waiting room for almost 45 minutes.  He was doing well, but I hadn't planned on waiting that long.  While waiting, there were FOUR sets of twin babies coming in for their check ups.  So yes, the doctor was now running late thanks to poor time management by the office staff.  So 45 minutes later we got into the examination room and got J undressed and had a weight & height check.  Height: grew 1.5 inches.  Weight: lost 1 pound.  (WHAT?!)  This kid has a hole in his stomach, where is the weight going to? 

I've been struggling with J's weight since he was about 8 or 9 months.  He hasn't been gaining as much as the doctors would like him to.  His growth chart has been a little inconsistent but I guess it has become his consistent growth.   He's now at 18lbs 10.5oz, 30.5 inches tall.  The doctor could see my concern and also explained that she'd like to take precautionary measures and get a blood test done just so we can see IF there was anything going on that we need to address.  She mentioned that there was another child with similar weight issues and they didn't test her early but in the end they found out there was something going on with the girls kidneys. 

So our appt last a lot longer than I had anticipated.  Had I known we'd be out like this I would have at least brought a snack, drink, and diapers with us.  All of those were in the car and now that we were inside with the doctor, I couldn't leave now.  J was getting rambunctious and found the humor in going through the trash pail which was full of tissues and tounge suppressors.  But the doctor found his initial examination all well and good.  Except for his weight, or lack of weight gain. 

After our visit with the doctor I went across the street to the lab in the hospital so J could get his blood work done ASAP.  I couldn't wait around for this and had to just do it.  Except the wait, again, was forever and J loved to explore all the nooks and crannys of the offices.  This was his first experience getting blood work done, and I hope it's the last.  Oh did he cry.  The two nurses that were working with him were great and when they were almost finished, they asked him if he wanted to pick a toy for being so good.  Through his sobs he managed to answer, "YAH, YAH". 

We never made it to daycare, or work.  Both J & I were exhausted and hungry.  We went home and had a snack and took a nap.  I was told that if there were any results I would hear from someone over the weekend.  Otherwise the doctor would call me on Tuesday. 

There were no phone calls this weekend.  No news is good news.  I hope.

One of his naps over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails