Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Testimony by Anita Shreve

The story is told by the voice of each character.  Every chapter captures the story how it's viewed by each individual.  Sometimes this worked and other times it didn't.  There were some characters that didn't play a huge role in the story.  Then there were times when the story didn't flow as easily as I thought it should have.  I felt like it was bouncing around in flash backs or flash forwards.  Maybe that's how the author meant it to be, but this book is not like her other books. 

I've read most of her books, and I enjoy how Anita captures emotions and hooks you into the characters.  Unfortunately this book didn't do that for me like she had in her other books.

Anita Shreve bases her stories around the New England setting with a fictional story line.  Testimony takes place in Vermont at a boarding school.  The incident is incredibly sad and I can only imagine if the story were true, what would a mother do? 

If you've never read a book by Anita Shreve, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one as I don't think the style of this book best portraits her writing.  However, this story is so heartbreaking, I would only recommend it those those who can handle very unhappy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish