Set your goals high but not your expectations. ~Dove

Monday, May 10, 2010

Still Alice by Lisa Genova


I have a new favorite book.  Well, I will add this to my top 10, although I may need to revisit my top ten list.

Anyways, I finished Still Alice.  Oh this book made me think, about my life, about people with Alzheimer's disease.  I played the what if game way too often.  It was kind of depressing actually.  But I enjoyed the book, the story, the writing.  I truly enjoyed it all.  If words had color, this book did.  I never really understood how Alzheimer's disease can affect someone.  My ignorant assumption was like turning a light off, and the memory was gone.  Eventually, well, this does happen.  But to go from having a memory to losing your memory is quite scary, sad, and frustrating.

In Still Alice, Alice (age 51) teaches at Harvard University and learns that she has early onset Alzheimer's disease (EOAD).  The disease takes hold of Alice's life quite fast and her life is turned upside down.  The story is told from the view point of Alice and how she loses control of her memory.  She's a very successful and talented teacher, advisor, writer, mother, and wife.  The instant she learned she had this disease, she realized everything started to make sense.

Alzheimer's disease is hereditary.  I didn't know that.  This story is fictional, but with nonfictional facts.  The author mentions that the medicine that is discussed in this story are actual methods of treatment.  But there is no cure for Alzheimer's disease.

I actually miss reading Still Alice.  I'm sad that I finished the book.  I have been left with an incredible feeling that I doubt I'll find another book as good as Still Alice.  I'm sure I will, but you know, after you've read such a great story, it's hard to find that next book that is just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Remove~Restore~Rebalance~Replenish